The Acara Challenge is the University of Minnesota’s impact venture competition to reward and support student teams that are developing solutions to address global social and environmental challenges. The Acara Challenge is organized by Acara, a program at the Institute on the Environment, University of Minnesota.
- Learn: Contact Fred Rose <email@example.com> to discuss your application. Check out the Acara Challenge 2016 info session deck.
- Prepare: To prepare your venture idea, join CEGE 5572: Social Venture Launchpad, offered each January term. This is not required but will help your team prepare for the competition.
- Apply: Applications are due in January for the next Acara Challenge competition. The initial application form is here for the 2016 competition. Students will be able to apply for an Acara Venture Fellowship in March 2016 after the Acara Challenge.
- Pitch: Present your venture for feedback and funding at the next Acara Challenge in March 2016 at the University of Minnesota.
- The competition is open to current degree-seeking University of Minnesota students (undergrad, grad, professional) from all system campuses. If you are a student from a different school, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your situation.
- Any team with a business idea or operational early stage business that addresses a grand challenge issue with a for-profit or not-for-profit organization may participate.
- Each team must have at least 1 currently or recently registered student (1 or more students must be registered Fall 2015 or Spring 2016).
Need to find an idea? D Prize is here to help.
Acara is partnered with D Prize in order to support winning Acara teams that have a focus on distribution of existing products and technologies in developing countries. D Prize will provide up to $5,000 in matching funding for eligible winning Acara Challenge teams. Review the D Prize Challenges in order to get started finding your own venture solution.
- November 17, 2015, 12.30-1.30pm CST. Acara Challenge info session in ME 1130. Check out the Acara Challenge 2016 info session deck.
- January 22, 2016, 5pm CST. Initial entry deadline at http://z.umn.edu/challenge2016.
- January 29, 2016. Finalists announced.
- February 2, 2016, 6-8pm. Information session (please hold this date if you are applying).
- February 12, 2016, 5pm CST. Final plans due.
- February 19, 2016, 5pm CST. Final 10-minute and 2-minute pitch decks due.
- February 22-26, 2016. Required one on one practice session with Acara.
- March 3, 2016. Acara Challenge Finals: 8am-4pm at McNamara Alumni Center on the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities campus. Acara Challenge Public Reception and Award Ceremony: 5:30-8:30pm.
- Late March 2016: Winning Acara Challenge teams invited to apply for Acara Venture Fellowship.
- Acara Challenge cash awards up to $1,000 per team.
Invitation to apply for an Acara Venture Fellowship up to $5,000 per team.
Scholarship for the 2016 Acara Spring Institute venture design workshop series.
All teams will be judged by an investor-like panel. The judging criteria is:
- What is the problem?
- How do you make money?
- What is the social impact?
- How does it scale?
- Who is the team?
Review the full Acara Challenge 2016 Guidelines and Rules for further information on the competition. This will be updated later in the Fall semester.