J term (CE 5572) course
The week of Jan 14-18, 18 intrepid students gave up a week of their semester break to spend on the quiet St. Paul campus to work on their social venture idea. It was a terrific class, with a combination of ideas for Africa and India, and right here in Minnesota. The day course is a combination of learning skills and tools to help a budding entrepreneur and a steady stream of outside guests. A number of these ideas will be in the Acara Challenge on Feb 8, those ideas will be posted soon.
The week set up and guests, below:
- Day 1 – Who Cares? Guests: Brad Lohrding (Logic PD) on design thinking, entrepreneurs Emily Torgrimson (Eat For Equity) and A.J. Schwidder (Upstream Technologies).
- Day 2 – Do The Math. Guests: Sam Reid (Tact) on social value proposition, entrepreneurs Joy McBrien (Joylery, Fair Anita ) and Simone Ahuja (Blood Orange).
- Day 3 – Tell Me a Story. Guests: Todd Reubold (IonE) on presenting, entrepreneur Joel Hodroff (Dual Currency).
- Day 4 – Show Me The Money. Guests: Heather Durenberger (Management consultant) on development and leadership, Brad Brown (Socentia) on social venture funding, Jessica Marshall (Science writer) on crowdfunding; entrepreneurs Brian Peterson (STLF) and Kyle Coolbroth (CoCo).
- Day 5 – Make it a Habit. Final presentations.